Great Orange River Expeditions (GORE)
Richtersveld Area Information
The Richtersveld is a unique mountain desert wilderness of great beauty, tucked in the far north-western corner of the Northern Cape in South Africa. It is full of changing scenery, with flat sandy plains in the south, to craggy sharp mountains in the northwest and the lushness of the Orange River.
The Orange River which forms the northern border of the Park is virtually the only standing water in this whole vast region and the rocks are stark and bare - in some places resembling a barren lunar landscape.
The Richtersveld is home to grey rhebok, duiker, steenbok, klipspringer, kudu, Hartman's mountain zebra, baboon, velvet monkey, caracal and leopard. Birdlife is prolific, and 650 plant species have been recorded (the Nama community have specific uses for some 150 of these species, ranging from medicinal and cosmetic to nutritional).
Also peculiar to the Richtersveld is the world's largest diversity of succulents, including the unusual halfmens, a tall succulent plant that bears an uncanny resemblance to the human from when seen outlined against the sky.
In this wilderness lies the 162 445 ha Richtersveld National Park.
All River Expeditions start from the moment you leave the front door of your House! Especially when you realize that you have forgotten something!
Why Choose Us?
- With years of experience on the river as a guide and operator, we are proud to present to you this new, fresh river company, whose ultimate aim is to give you an unforgettable outdoor river rafting experience that will change your outlook on life, while bringing you peace of mind!
- We believe that young and old are capable of taking part in our river expeditions – as we understand the importance of your comfort and relaxation while enjoying this unique adventure. With our guidance and eagerness to please, you will have to work very hard at not having the greatest time of your life!!
- We do believe in Eco River Expeditions as we treasure our river!
Our daily schedule on the Great Gariep (Orange) River
- We will spend our days enjoying some paddling, swimming, floating, bird watching and negotiating some rapids and fast flowing water.
- We will be doing some general discovering of what the Richtersveld mountains eco system offer to us.
- In the evenings we will experience the silence of the Richtersveld as well as the magical desert sky’s , lovely food after a hard days rafting along with great company and good laughs from some of your unforgettable moments of the day
- All our equipment are SABS approved
- We make use of the two man inflatable rafts
- Each boat will received two paddles
- Each person will be receiving a buoyancy aid
- Each person will have a dry bag to put his personal stuff in to keep it dry on the river
- Each boat will received a Cooler box for their drinks with ice included
- And last but not least qualified APA Guides
- All your meals are prepared on open fires and gas
- We can Cater for all diets, i.e. vegetarians, vegans etc.
Keep our river sacred
- We do believe in an Eco River Expedition and for this reason we don’t allowed any glass on the river and all our waste will be transported along with us and returned to base camp.
- Please decant your supplies to plastic containers or make use of cans.
- We also try make use of gas where we can to prepare meals to minimize our use of wood resources on the river
- Bio-degradable soaps, shampoo’s conditioners and lotions are available at all Cape Union Marts – please make use of them!
Basic Personal Kit
- Passport, Camera
- Sleeping Bag & Roll Mat or blow up mat
- Tents are optional (remember you have to row it along with you on the boat)
- Sun cream, hydrate satchels, lip balm, Sunglasses, sun hat, Insect repellent
- T shirts, sarong, strops, Khikoi, Sweater, long pants
- Torch, matches, toilet paper, Bio degradable soap, toiletries
- (Suggestion for the girls – small garden spade to avoid having to drag along the biggest tool on earth!)
- 6 disposable bin liners, ( water tight bag)
- Own cutlery & crockery
- Own drinks & In between meal snacks/sweets
- Sense of Humor
5 Nights / 6 Days River Expedition: 45 – 85 km (depending on the water level)
Price: Adults: ZAR 2,850 / Children under 12: ZAR 2,650
6 Nights / 7 Days River Expedition: 85 – 140 km (depending on the water level)
Price: Adults: ZAR 3,050 / Children under 12: ZAR2, 850
- All our River Expeditions will be departing on your preferred Date!!
- We are private group based with a minimum number of 16 people per Expedition to maximize your experience!
A 4 Night and 5 Day Camping Trip in the Richtersveld at the end of your River Expedition are available only on request in advance!